[GSoC 2013] Questions regarding "Android proxy client"

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:41:34 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Bhargav G <bhargavg3092 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am Bhargav, a Computer Science undergraduate student from BITS-Pilani,
> India. I am an avid mobile app developer. I worked on Phonegap apps during
> GSoC 2012 with Apache Software Foundation and have developed many Windows
> Phone apps. I am also well versed with native android app development. I
> have developed an Android app[1] for Exotel Techcom Pvt. Ltd. and it is
> being used by its clientele of over 2000 firms. My github account[2] will
> provide much more details about my developer expertise.
>
> In my search to find an organization that has challenging problem
> statements in Mobile application areas, I found Pidgin and was very much
> interested in the this project which requires a mobile app that acts as a
> remote controller to desktop client. While I was trying to come up with a
> feasible solution and plan to write a good proposal, I got a few questions.
>
>    - From my experience with GCM, there has to be a database maintained
>    with userID mapped with registrationID which is specific to Android device.
>    This means that I need to edit the server to expose an API to save
>    registrationID, send GCM message and then build an android application. Is
>    my approach correct?
>    - Should the user be able to reply to messages also?
>
> I don't know GCM so i will not comment on that point.

I think the user should be able to reply messages, also start a new IM with
some user. Otherwise I don't think it would be useful.

Also, I would suggest you to think the schema in which this proxy would
work.
Would it need a headless libpurple daemon as the server?
Would it attach itself to a pidgin instance?
What happens if there are more than one libpurple instances in the same
machine (different users)?

> I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these
> questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help
> me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to Pidgin.
>
> List of links:
> [1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.exotel.mobile
> [2] https://github.com/bhargavgolla
>
> Regards