[GSoC 2013] Questions regarding "Android proxy client"

Bhargav G bhargavg3092 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:40:21 EDT 2013

Hello

I am Bhargav, a Computer Science undergraduate student from BITS-Pilani,
India. I am an avid mobile app developer. I worked on Phonegap apps during
GSoC 2012 with Apache Software Foundation and have developed many Windows
Phone apps. I am also well versed with native android app development. I
have developed an Android app[1] for Exotel Techcom Pvt. Ltd. and it is
being used by its clientele of over 2000 firms. My github account[2] will
provide much more details about my developer expertise.

In my search to find an organization that has challenging problem
statements in Mobile application areas, I found Pidgin and was very much
interested in the this project which requires a mobile app that acts as a
remote controller to desktop client. While I was trying to come up with a
feasible solution and plan to write a good proposal, I got a few questions.

   - From my experience with GCM, there has to be a database maintained
   with userID mapped with registrationID which is specific to Android device.
   This means that I need to edit the server to expose an API to save
   registrationID, send GCM message and then build an android application. Is
   my approach correct?
   - Should the user be able to reply to messages also?

I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these
questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help
me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to Pidgin.

List of links:
[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.exotel.mobile
[2] https://github.com/bhargavgolla

Regards