Going for gobjectification

gillou.ray at free.fr gillou.ray at free.fr
Thu Apr 18 01:40:45 EDT 2013

Hello,

I’d like to give a try at doing this gobjectification work, and I have
a few questions regarding this. First let me point out that it’s not
gonna be a GSoC project because I’m not a student anymore. (And I have
huge doubts that any student is ever going to do this.)

My main motivation is to eventually bring my detachable sessions branch,
which rely on a proper gobjectification, towards a usable state. I
don’t have a deep knowledge of gobject nor libpurple, but I already
hacked with both to a fair extend. Actually did more gobject/glib than
libpurple, so I’m not that confident about the actual amount of work.
In particular, I saw some of you treating gobjectification and struct
hiding as a rather tedious work, and I’d like to know what actually
makes it so difficult. Could anyone elaborate on this?

I’ve been told that it would be smarter to start from scratch based on
the main branch than trying to merge the existing outdated
gobjectification branch. Anything under cpw.gillux would do? Or some
non-cpw branch so that others may join the party?

Taking lessons from the previous gobjectification work, it seems we
should really try to merge things with the main branch often, because
otherwise it becomes a pain to merge and eventually gets dropped,
right? Or is it a pain to merge anyway because gobjectification tends
to blow everything up by nature?

What would be the best merge strategy? Gradually merge gobjectification
work to main (like one PurpleStuff struct after the other), or regularly
merge main to gobjectification?

		— gillux