GSOC 2013: Buddy Search Project Idea

Sanket Agarwal sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Tue Apr 23 22:25:29 EDT 2013

Hi Erik,

I posted the above idea on the list originally, and it's very half baked
and I apologize for that.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Erik Talvi <eriktalvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking about ways to expand on the GSOC project idea of Buddy
> search and had the idea of implementing a facebookesque "people you may
> know" thing. The friends of friends would be a way to search not just for
> buddies who already exist on your list but also to find any John Doe with
> that name, but by sorting with respect to mutual friends this would mean
> that relevant John Doe would be near the top of the search rather than
> buried.

To achieve this you would need to be able to explore friend/buddy list of
your friends. I don't think you can get that for except facebook (which has
an open API for it)? Also, there's no standards in XMPP (not that I know
of) which help to explore lists of other friends, not counting other
protocols that we support.

In short, don't confuse this search functionality with "Facebook Search" :).

> Wondering if the above would be a wanted/relevant GSOC project

I would say it's a long shot for this project and you might want to close
your range towards the problem in hand. Maybe explore what is the current
problem (and as a note I should do that before more students spend their
time on this) and try to figure out a workable solution :).

Cheers
--Sanket