Project for GSOC 2013

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Apr 25 02:00:45 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Ashish Gupta <ashmew2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interoperable way sounds nice. You are talking about the initial ACK packets
> (Forgive me if im wrong) being able to tell a libpurple client differently
> from a non libpurple client right?
> So, do you think that this could be a nice proposal for this year's GSOC
> (The File Transfer along with a CTRL+F Buddy Search) ?

I don't speak for everyone, but my personal belief is that it would be
better for us to perfect native file transfer for each protocol rather
than implement our own solution.  But of course, that hasn't seemed to
have worked out so well over the last 10 years, so maybe a new
approach is warranted :-P

"Fixing file transfer" (either by implementing your own solution or
perfecting native file transfer) is probably a big enough task for a
summer.  I suspect that it would be difficult to complete that task
AND complete better buddy list searching.