Project for GSOC 2013

Ashish Gupta ashmew2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 11:05:13 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:

> Ashish Gupta spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Oh, thanks for the information, i didnt know that libpurple-nonLibpurple
> > should be working. All i saw from a user perspective is that it doesnt,
and
> > i have seen a lot of people(including myself) being frustrated as to
why it
> > does not work. Why does it have to be official ? All i want to do is
work
> > on fixing the file transfer issue. If it can be done in a more official
> > way, I'll still be more than glad to contribute to that. Just the end
> > result should be the ability to transfer files.
>
> Note that your idea is implementable in an interoperable way; if you
> put a file up for transfer and then send a URL as a regular link in an
> IM, then it works fine with both libpurple and non-libpurple clients.
> You could optionally include something that helps a libpurple client
> understand that this is intended to be a file transfer, and trip the
> regular file transfer mechanism, if you so desired.
>
> Ethan

Interoperable way sounds nice. You are talking about the initial ACK
packets (Forgive me if im wrong) being able to tell a libpurple client
differently from a non libpurple client right?
So, do you think that this could be a nice proposal for this year's GSOC
(The File Transfer along with a CTRL+F Buddy Search) ?

Awaiting your valuable views,
Ashish