GSOC Chat log storage: My thoughts

Tomasz Wasilczyk tomkiewi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:34:11 EDT 2013

2013/4/25 Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us>:
> Many users have access to IMAP servers, they just may not know it. Many
> (most) free webmail services offer IMAP access. I think doing just the
> IMAP logging part is non-trivial already, and I don't want a student to
> be over-ambitious.
> > (...)
> Yes, but a IMAP logging backend is very much a valid GSoC project :-)

I've digged around it and it's like you said - it's non trivial and
even harder than it may look like. I'm just not sure, if it utilizes
the whole summer.

Remote logging with IMAP would be really good proof of "chat log"
project being remote-friendly. On the other hand - you're again right
- committing to both of these can overcome over-ambitious student.
However, it still may be possible to provide partial implementation
within larger "chat log" project.

> Stop doing the work for them already :-P (...)

Sorry ;). In fact, while I was digging around it and doing a trivial
implementation to see how exactly does it works, there came more and
more issues.

> If this project is about IMAP logging, IMAP storage is certainly a very
> important part of the project.

Yep, sorry again.

Tomek