Project for GSOC 2013

Ashish Gupta ashmew2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 13:58:39 EDT 2013

Hello, I am Ashish , Second Year Undergraduate in Information Technology.
I've been using pidgin for a long while now ,started as a replacement for
Yahoo Messenger because there was no "real" messenger for Linux at that
time (still isnt). And i would love to contribute to Pidgin.

1) File Transfers are a pain at times.

I'm talking about the scenario where the Send File button is greyed out.
Instead of it being greyed out, one of the following could be implemented .
* Open up a temporary FTP/SFTP server on the senders end with the browsed
file automatically added to this user's "sendable space". You can choose to
discard this whole sendable space immediately after the file transfer or
preserve it for sending it to other users at a later time. This can help in
sending directories as well. Can be achieved using something like a
stripped down version of something like vsftpd. Login/Password for access
can be generated on the fly.
This could fix a generalized problem of sending files.
* Push files to a cloud service such as Ubuntu One.

The advantage of the FTP approach is that your files stay with you and the
concerned receiver, no copies are made anywhere else.

2) Buddy Search

As mentioned on the Future Scope page, the buddy search should cut down on
the search results instead of shifting to the best match, irrespective of
expanded/unexpanded groups. Searching by alias is supported, while by email
is not supported. It should merge both the results using a weighted
algorithm based on matches, not just at the beginning but the string being
present anywhere in the whole name/email ID/alias.
This could be made into a plugin but imo , it needs to be integrated by
default.

I have C/C++ experience of a couple of years. And also some experience
regarding Gtk/Qt.

Can both of these features be good enough for a GSOC '13 Project for Pidgin
?
Awaiting feedback on the same.

Thanks,
Ashish