[GSoC] Whiteboarding Pidgin

Edwin Abraham edwin.abraham12 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:29:38 EDT 2013

So shall I pursue the details how the yahoo doodle gui would work for XMPP.
And start figuring out how to implement the same. I would prefer to give
the GUI few subtle changes to incorporate User Object tracking/notifying
and integrated chat to whiteboard.

What about adding the GUI changes I mentioned to the Yahoo Doodle and then
migrate to the XMPP implementation as the SoC progress. If it doesn't fit
within the time period of the SoC I can still pursue it afterwards.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Tomasz Wasilczyk <tomkiewi at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/4/25 Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:
> > Tomasz Wasilczyk spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >> I'd like to suggest, that (in case, such project will be accepted) it
> >> could be done together with that old SoC branch integration. I mean,
> >> both of these protocols (xmpp and yahoo) could use the same GUI and
> >> libpurple API and just communicate with both services differently (and
> >> it would be implemented in prpls). I think it's pointless to implement
> >> it for all protocols separately (I believe, Gadu-Gadu also have
> >> similiar feature).
> >
> > Yahoo Doodle support is merged with head.
>
> I guess [1] should be updated, then.
>
> > Whether it is relevant to
> > XMPP whiteboards or not I cannot say -- it's bitmap-based, and I
> > surely hope that other protocols are vector.
>
> Both bitmap and vector based protocols could utilize (almost) the same
> API and GUI. Its only a kind suggestion, because I wouldn't use such
> feature. However, I would like to try reverse engineering and
> implementing it in the meantime for Gadu-Gadu, if such API was ready.
>
> Tomek
>
> [1] https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/SummerOfCode2007

*Edwin Abraham,*
Skype ID: edwin_abraham12