Project for GSOC 2013

Ashish Gupta ashmew2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:57:14 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Ashish Gupta <ashmew2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So the file transfer project can be a good enough project for GSOC then?
> > The native file transfer for each protocol natively. Can we fix that ?
All i
> > want to make sure is that files get transferred. By hook or by crook,
so to
> > speak.
> > If there is a native and more standard approach to do it, i'll be more
than
> > willing to undertake that task.
> > Should i submit my GSOC Application with this this idea then?
>
> I'm only 1 reviewer out of 8, but this sounds good to me.  I would
> recommend being specific as to what you want to fix.  Which protocols?
>  Which clients?  Pidgin to Pidgin?  Pidgin to official AIM?  Official
> AIM to Pidgin?  When the receiver is behind a home router/firewall NAT
> device?  When the sender is behind a home router/firewall NAT device?
>
> If you're able to enumerate the exact failure scenarios then it will
> be possible to reproduce the failures and easier to fix them.

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in this project everyone, especially Mark.

I tried sending files from one google account using Pidgin to another using
Pidgin , and that seems to work out well.
I am accustomed to using the Yahoo! and Google IM networks (most of
everyone i know on IMs use either of those), so i would like to fix the
following issues as of now, (If you think this is too short a list, please
suggest).

Pidgin to Pidgin (Seems to work, need to think in terms of inter network as
opposed to intra network)
Official Google Talk to Pidgin.
Pidgin to Official Google Talk.
Official Yahoo! Messenger to Pidgin.
Pidgin to Official Yahoo! Messenger

I've been reading all the documentation i can find for libpurple and
protocols used by various services(concentrating more on Yhaoo ad Google).
I figured out that all the messing around i need to do for this project,
mostly resides in the source tree in /libpurple/protocols/.

I started with yahoo as the first opportunity to understand what's going on
right now and figured out that the users need to be non fedarated in order
to receive files , otherwise they cant. Will dig it up more soon.

I'm going through the source code and will be able to propose a more
concrete approach shortly.

Any help regarding how it might be functioning is very welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,
Ashish