[GSOC] Rewrite chat log backend and frontend

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 11:47:31 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Adam Hamot <adamhamot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My name is Adam Hamot and I am currently a Computer Science student ('15)
> at the University of Maryland. I just recently found out that pidgin was
> part of GSoC this year (after anxiously searching for a great matching
> organization) and I would love to work with you all over the summer.
>
> From browsing the ideas list (
> https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects) I saw that the first
> idea would be a perfect match for me as I am very interested in backend
> code and love logging my chats! I have been using pidgin for just over 2
> years now and it has never once failed me. I primarily use it to talk to a
> couple of friends who are still using AIM and it is always nice to go back
> and look at our logged chats. Of course the logging feature works but it is
> not very elegant. I would like to change this by updating the logging
> screen along with adding more capabilities.
>
> I would just like to get some answers from everyone before I start working
> on my application.
>
> 1) What exactly should my proposal for this idea include?
>
>    - Should I go through the logging code (so far I've read over
>    pidgin/gtklog.c and libpurple/log.c) and state how I would store the new
>    chat log format using existing/new structs?
>    - Are there more files pertaining to logging that I am missing?
>    - Would I be better off creating my own file format for this task or
>    should I use an existing one (JSON, YAML, etc)?
>

> 2) Do I have to create my own mockup if I feel the current mockup listed
> is adequate?
>
> 3) Is it better to write my proposal and send it here to get feedback or
> should I submit my proposal and then ask for feedback here? Mainly I would
> love to get feedback before the application period ends so that I can have
> a fully polished application and increase my chances of working with you
> all.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Adam, I am glad you found the organization.

I would like you to read the email archive since the last couple of weeks
we have had a extensive discussion about what to include or not in the
logging project. Most of your questions are answered there.

On the file format, I would prefer to have some standard format, I do like
compatibility.

If you have a better idea (over the current mockup) just show it, have in
mind that the current one is available for everyone else too.

--
Masca

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?