asking for a feature

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Feb 5 18:37:35 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Leinier Cruz Salfranc
<salfranccl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Martes, 5 de febrero de 2013 11:19:42 PM usted escribió:
>> It's certainly possible for us to make it configurable.  I'm curious,
>> though, what problem would that solve?
>
> happens that i live in cuba .. maybe you do not know but conectivity here is
> the most slow over all other places around universe .. keeping pidgin sending
> ping requests involves a waste of bytes on my very slow connection and that
> generate lags and, after fews seconds of no answer disconnection of xmpp
> session.
>
> that does not happen with yahoo protocol beacuse they do not have ping feature
> .. once i connect yahoo it does not disconnect until i do it manually.

Ah.  Saving bandwidth is probably a valid use-case.  Of course, if the
ping never gets a response from the server that's kind of a legitimate
reason to disconnect.  We should maybe just try to give users more
control over pings, in case there are circumstances where they do more
harm than good.

On the plus side, Cuba's Internet connectivity might be improving:
http://www.renesys.com/blog/2013/01/cuban-fiber-completo.shtml