File Transfer Implementation - GSOC Project 2013

Sulabh Mahajan sulabh.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:28:13 EDT 2013

I will suggest you to look at the yahoo prpl tickets that are file transfer
related. You will get a fairly good idea of what doesn't work from there.
At the bare minimum the following should work:

pidgin to pidgin
pidgin to y! msngr
y! msngr to pidgin

Most likely you will NOT need to rewrite the whole thing. Usually the
protocol keeps changing little by little and breaks file transfers every
few months. Not much hacking is required to fix it back.
Said that I haven't looked at the ymsg protocol for quite some time
and don't know exactly what has changed.

You will need to reverse engineer file transfers between yahoo messengers
and see exactly where is our implementation varying from the protocol.

You will need the following:
1. wireshark or any other capable packet sniffer
2. windows machine with yahoo messenger
3. linux with pidgin
4. knowledge on using gdb and valgrind.

Let me know what else you need to start fixing yahoo transfers.
Ping me in case you see me online and need help.

I will take a look today and see if I can list down major things that don't
work.

Regards,
Sulabh Mahajan