GObjectification - GSoC progress as of June 16, 2013

Ankit Vani a at nevitus.org
Thu Jun 27 03:58:55 EDT 2013

On 27 June 2013 13:09, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> Do we generally want our GObjects to be subclassable? I guess the
> benefit is that plugins have more power to alter our behavior? And the
> downside is that we have to be more careful not to break API?

I think it's really up to us to decide exactly how much a core libpurple object
can be subclassed. We decide which methods belong strictly to a class, or are
virtual (which means we WANT subclasses to reimplement them) or pure virtual
(subclasses MUST implement them). Subclasses won't be able to break existing API
unless we intend it to. And in general I think it's a good idea to allow
subclassing so that plugins can create their own variants of the core classes
that can be reused by other plugins and can store data that the core object
doesn't allow in a convinient way.