GObjectification - GSoC progress as of June 16, 2013 (resent with readable formatting)

Ankit Vani a at nevitus.org
Thu Jun 27 04:07:31 EDT 2013

On 27 June 2013 13:12, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> As you're making these changes, are you also changing all callers to
> use the new GObject version? Or are you leaving both APIs in place?

I plan an API update, then update the header file(s). Then I give the new API a
test compile by compiling plugins, protocols etc. to ensure what I'm doing is
feasible with how pidgin uses those features. For that I have to refactor those
plugins, protocols using the new API. Then I update the actual source of the
object I'm working on to implement the API. Then I refactor the remaining
codebase according to the new API. I ensure that the whole thing compiles
successfully, passes the test suite, and runs without crashing. I keep testing
for some time and then I decide to move on to the next object.

> Also, I'm curious what your plans are for merging your changes into
> the default branch of http://hg.pidgin.im/pidgin/main/? One concern I
> have is that the more changes you make in your branch, the harder
> merges become. This was one of the problems with the original
> gobjectifcation effort. Ideally I think some Pidgin devs would look
> through your changes throughout the summer and do a merge every now
> and then. Maybe this is something we should try to schedule, so you
> could get your branch in a stable state before merging?

I merge changes from the main branch into my branch almost everyday. The main
branch isn't updated often so it's not really a problem. And when done often and
in small amounts it's not really difficult. If you were to merge my branch with
main right now, you would have no conflicts :)