GObjectification - GSoC progress as of June 16, 2013 (resent with readable formatting)

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Jun 27 03:42:39 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Ankit Vani <a at nevitus.org> wrote:
> - PurpleCircBuffer is now PurpleCircularBuffer, which subclasses GObject.
> - Appropriately, circbuffer .h and .c are now circularbuffer .h and .c
> - purple_circ_buffer_* functions are now purple_circular_buffer_* methods.

I like the name change--thank you!

And thanks for the detailed update about the cipher and hash changes
too. I agree that it makes sense to split them up that way.

As you're making these changes, are you also changing all callers to
use the new GObject version? Or are you leaving both APIs in place?

Also, I'm curious what your plans are for merging your changes into
the default branch of http://hg.pidgin.im/pidgin/main/? One concern I
have is that the more changes you make in your branch, the harder
merges become. This was one of the problems with the original
gobjectifcation effort. Ideally I think some Pidgin devs would look
through your changes throughout the summer and do a merge every now
and then. Maybe this is something we should try to schedule, so you
could get your branch in a stable state before merging?