ZRTP Support

Daniel Kraft d at domob.eu
Sun May 26 14:42:49 EDT 2013

Hi!

First of all, thanks for giving us Pidgin -- I really love it, and use
it already some years now.  (When it still was called gaim.)

However, recently I got interested in voice/video in addition to text,
but I also want to be end-to-end encrypted for privacy reasons.
Unfortunately, Pidgin does not yet support ZRTP (see also [1]).

  [1] https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11221

So I'm forced to use Jitsi just for my video conversations, which is a
bit unfortunate as I like Pidgin much better and it also seems to be
much more stable in general for me.

As the above ticket already mentions, there seems to be already a ZRTP
library out there that could be used ... and judging by the comments,
this is a feature also others would like so see in Pidgin.

What is the current status about this issue, are there plans to
implement ZRTP?  If not, I would be willing to tackle this on my own
and volunteer to look into it.

I do have some experience with other big free software projects (GNU
Guile, GNU Octave and gfortran), but not (yet) with XMPP, ZRTP or the
Pidgin code-base.  Do you think that would still be a feasible project
to tackle?  Would you be interested in adding ZRTP support?  And would
you give me a helping hand from time to time should I really attempt
this and have questions regarding the code-base?

BTW, is this something that could/should be implemented as plugin
rather than a native patch (like OTR)?  I have not yet looked into the
plugin API of Pidgin, either, though.

Thanks for your input!  I would really love to get ZRTP support for
Pidgin -- then I would no longer have to switch to Jitsi from time to
time, because Pidgin would (again) have every single feature I need.

Yours,
Daniel

- --
http://www.domob.eu/
- --
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Hea-Kni-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Mon-Pri