Help on Open Source Research

Igor Steinmacher igorsteinmacher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:30:00 EDT 2013

Hello all,

My name is Igor Steinmacher and I am a PhD Candidate from Brazil and a
Research Scholar at University of California, Irvine. I am conducting a
research aiming at finding how to support new contributors during their
first steps in the project.  My final goal is to verify what kind of
tooling is appropriate  to  support  the  newcomers  overcoming  their
difficulties  when  they  are willing to contribute to the project.

The first step of my research is to find out what are the main obstacles
and difficulties faced by these newcomers. My goal is to hear from the
community itself, interviewing new contributors and core members.

By having the information regarding the main problems, I will start
figuring out which mechanisms  can  be  applied  to  provide  the
support.  I  will  keep  the  anonymity  of interviewers and I have the
commitment to publish/return the results of my research to the community.

I need your help answering my interview. We will conduct the interviews via
textual chat, and we can schedule it at the time that fits better for you.
Please send me a private  email if you are interested in supporting my
research.

I  also  request  your  help  reaching  out  core contributors  so  that
I  can  gather  the  best information. The data will help gain insights
about newcomer issues, and allow us to  propose initiatives to alleviate
the problems faced by newcomers, as a tentative to retain them.

Feel free to contact me in case you have any doubt or question regarding my
research or the interview process.

Thanks in advance
--
Igor Fabio Steinmacher