[GSoC] Merge branches (to all GSoC students)

Tomasz Wasilczyk twasilczyk at pidgin.im
Sat Sep 28 12:55:51 EDT 2013

2013/9/28 Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:
> I think some of this email is somewhat premature.

I just wanted to make hay while the sun shines (is it a good translation?).

> Tomasz Wasilczyk spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> this year's GSoC is over and all of you sent reports of the tasks
>> being successfully finished. Some of you claims about being ready to
>> merge. I'd like to draw your attention to some aspects of really being
>> ready to merge:
>>
>> - Is your code building on win32? The current main branch does.
>
> This isn't a hard-and-fast requirement for merge, nor is building in
> any other particular configuration.  We simply have to believe that
> any such failures are fixable, and the merge is worth it.
>
>> - Is your branch compiling without any warnings?
>
> Ditto.
>
>> - Generally: don't break things. Are there any TODOs in your code that
>> removes some previously present functionality? Maybe something doesn't
>> work as previous, because there is some more work to be done?
>
> For 3.0.0, there *will* be regressions before we're feature-complete.
> The key is general forward progress.

These are not hard requirements (I'm not a mentor this year, so I
cannot set any requirements), but it's good to take care of it. And
it's easiest to fix these for the student, because he's familiar with
his code.

My point, is just to draw student's attention to aspects they probably
missed, to make these branches best quality possible. I recently
merged a "merge-ready" keyring aka "master password" GSoC branch.
Ultimately, I've rewritten (I haven't made any precise statistics) 80%
of its code (crashes, improperly utilized external APIs, in-line TODOs
left, polishing). I wish this year's ones be of better quality.

Tomek