[GSoC] Merge branches (to all GSoC students)

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sun Sep 29 10:50:00 EDT 2013

Tomasz Wasilczyk spake unto us the following wisdom:
> And some remarks (probably too late) about the code I looked at:
> - as far, as I know, we don't indent our code with mixed tabs and
> spaces. Even if it's pretty. Just 8-chars wide tabs.

We use spaces only to make up partial 8-character tabs.  I do not
object, however, to tabs for the line's basic indent width and spaces
past that for any hanging indents.  I doubt anyone else does, either.

The codebase is not consistent, though, and following local formatting
is appropriate.

> - try to keep lines under 80 columns (yes, it's hard, but it also
> makes your blocks less nested)

I personally prefer this, but a number of developers use other values
(I think 100 characters has been bandied about) or prefer long lines
where otherwise aesthetically appropriate.

Ethan