Re-namespacing Pidgin's API for Introspection

Elliott Sales de Andrade qulogic at pidgin.im
Sun Feb 9 16:27:55 EST 2014

On 9 February 2014 11:44, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> Thanks for sending this list! Your proposed renames mostly look good
> to me. And making those changes in 'default' sounds good.
>
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Elliott Sales de Andrade
> <qulogic at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > On 8 February 2014 15:47, Ankit Vani <a at nevitus.org> wrote:
> >> dbus-bindings.h:
> >>   'empty_to_null'           to 'purple_emptystr_to_null'
> >>   'null_to_empty'           to 'purple_null_to_emptystr'
> >
> > I'm not sure if these DBus things are meant to be so public; they seem
> to be
> > there to help our DBus wrappers, no?
>
> It does seem like they could be made internal. Or static. Fixing the
> namespace seems fine for now. Someone could investigate making them
> non-public later.

I was also somewhat postulating that the GObject introspection would make
this unnecessary?

> >> server.h:
> >
> > This entire file needs to be re-namespaced, and purple_serv* is not the
> > right place for most of the functions, actually.
>
> That's a bigger task, though. I think renaming them is fine for now,
> and is an improvement.
>
> >> theme-manager.h:
> >>   'PTFunc'                  to 'PurplePTFunc'
> >
> > Doesn't the PT here stand for PurpleTheme?
>
> It looks like it. I think this should be PurpleTFunc or
> PurpleThemeFunc. I like the latter.
>
> >> NAMESPACE CHANGES IN LIBGNT
> >> ===========================
> >>
> >> gntentry.h:
> >>   'ENTRY_CHAR'             to 'GNT_ENTRY_CHAR'
> >>
> >> gntutils.h:
> >>   'g_hash_table_duplicate' to 'gnt_hash_table_duplicate'
> >>   'GDupFunc'               to 'GntDupFunc'
> >
> > This should perhaps spell out Duplicate in full.
>
> I have no opinion.
>
> >> gtksourceiter.h:
> >> gtksourceundomanager.h:
> >> gtksourceview-marshal.h:
> >
> > You may want to hold off on GtkSourceUndoManager. IIRC, it was ported
> from
> > the real GTK+ widget so that we'd have something to use in GtkIMHtml, but
> > now that we've switched to GtkWebView, it may not be necessary. I haven't
> > really checked that Undo works correctly in the webview, though.
>
> I tested undo in webview and it worked great for me. I removed all
> three of these files (and the .c files).

I think the concern was adding/removing smileys. But I'm not sure we have
that working yet, and I think undo could be done with WebKit-only stuff.

> >> gtkthemes.h:
> >>   'smiley_list'                                       to
> >> 'PidginSmileyList'
> >>   'smiley_theme'                                      to
> >> 'PidginSmileyTheme'
> >
> > I wonder if these need to be public.
>
> They are currently used outside of gtkthemes.h/.c, so it seems like
> the answer is yes.
>
> >> gtkwebview.h:
> >> gtkwebviewtoolbar.h:
> >
> > I think I looked into changing the namespace for GtkWebView and/or
> > GtkWhiteboard, and might still have the code somewhere, so give me a
> chance
> > to look for it.
>
> Ankit: Or if it's faster for you to redo the renaming, don't feel
> obligated to wait for Elliott :-)

I just found the change for GtkWebView. It needs a rebase, but I should be
able to push it out today.

--
Elliott aka QuLogic
Pidgin developer