maximum protocol message size from libpurple (for OTR plugin)

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sat Jan 4 23:04:01 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Moritz Warning <moritzwarning at web.de> wrote:
> My question is when we can expect to have a way to expose the protocols
> maximum message size? Someone on IRC kindly told me that I have to
> wait for libpurple 3.0. Is there a time frame?

Our current main branch of development does contain a prpl function
'get_max_message_size'. It's not defined for all protocol plugins, and
where it IS defined, it's not necessarily correct. In fact, most of
the values we're using were taken from the OTR plugin. The nature of
using undocumented proprietary protocols is such that it's not easy to
know the maximum message size. It's usually determined through trial
and error.

There is no ETA for libpurple 3.0