Oracle support emails

Peter Lawler bleeter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 04:39:21 EST 2014

On 13/01/14 20:16, Phil Hannent wrote:
> On 10 January 2014 11:42, Peter Lawler <bleeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dunno where specifically it was, but pretty sure I previously suggested
>> modifying 'Help->About' depending on whether the client inside an Oracle
>> netblock.
> It is there, however you have to scroll to see it [1]. The problem I
> see is that if you are given half an answer on that screen [2] you are
> going to click the link to the website rather than scroll to the rest
> of the about box. That text should be on the support page of the
> website [3] for it to be effective.

I was referring to IANA/GeoIP type lookups to see if the client is
sitting inside a known Oracle netblock, and modifying the Help->About
accordingly.

Of course, this won't help those employees on mobile/dialup etc. on the
road, etc. but it was just a half-not-serious suggestion

The side effect of such code would be and ability to, instead of
displaying what Oracle support info we know, just make it all blank.
Every single last line of Help. But only when Pidgin is run on a known
Oracle IP.

This would force Oracle to patch their own *USEFUL* in and (thus) hand
the info back to the public so we could support their support.

But that's just nasty. And I'm doing my best not to be that any more.

P.

Yes, a bit drunk. I 'broke' the Australian Passport website today. Not a
good feeling.