Unified Communication

Niklas Andersson niklas.andersson at openforce.se
Tue Jan 28 02:56:47 EST 2014

Hi,

 Just read this piece from Debian about how they enable SIP/WebRTC for
their developers, accessible through a range of devices [1] with some
technical details on [2]

 Service is accessible on a range of clients, but not Pidgin:

"...diverse range of traditional softphones, including Empathy, Jitsi,
Lumicall, Linphone, and CSIPSimple."

 What needs to get done to get Pidgin on that list? We are currently
starting up a project to do major improvements to SIPE (Lync-plugin for
Pidgin). We are touching pieces with respect to these technologies, and I
would like to hear your opinion. SIPE already supports (unencrypted)
SIP-calls (voice/video), so I believe it would make sense to get this
functionality into Pidgin as well.

 Thoughts?

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2014/02/index.en.html#sip
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/UnifiedCommunications/DebianDevelopers