Unified Communication

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jan 28 03:39:41 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 08:56 +0100, Niklas Andersson wrote:
>  What needs to get done to get Pidgin on that list? We are currently
> starting up a project to do major improvements to SIPE (Lync-plugin
> for Pidgin). We are touching pieces with respect to these
> technologies, and I would like to hear your opinion. SIPE already
> supports (unencrypted) SIP-calls (voice/video), so I believe it would
> make sense to get this functionality into Pidgin as well.

Pidgin already supports voice/video calls with SIPE, although that
'unencrypted' is a big problem in some cases. There was a patch posted
recently to add a DTMF dialpad in calls, which makes it possible to use
it for a lot of conference calls where previously it wasn't viable.

The biggest thing you could do for SIPE at the moment is make it
actually work :)

Since NSS enabled the workaround for the BEAST attack, SIPE cannot
connect to many Lync servers unless the user manually does
            export NSS_SSL_CBC_RANDOM_IV=0
We need to find some way to make this settable in NSS per-connection,
and allow the SIPE code to actually ask pidgin's SSL client to do so.
Or persuade Microsoft to fix their servers, or find some other "fix", of
course.

The other big thing my users need from SIPE would be the screen sharing.
Not necessarily *sending* for now, but at least being able to *view* a
shared desktop in a Lync meeting would eliminate our major reason for
ditching pidgin and booting a Windows VM these days.

--
dwmw2