Please ship an AppData file upstream

Elliott Sales de Andrade qulogic at pidgin.im
Sat Nov 8 02:33:48 EST 2014

Hi Richard,

Sorry, this has taken pretty much forever. I've just committed this to our
main development branch, along with translation support for it.

We may also have to backport this to the 2.x.y branch so it will be in the
next release, and probably update the screenshot too at some point.

On 30 September 2013 05:13, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Fedora users and deveolpers have written several AppData [1] file
> which is used for showing screenshots and descriptions in various
> software centers such as GNOME Software which we are previewing in
> Fedora 20. One of those files is for Pidgin, which is why I'm writing
> to your mailing list.
>
> The extra appdata files are stored here for
>
> https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/tree/master/appdata-extra/desktop
> ,
> but we've love these files to be included upstream and installed in
> /usr/share/appdata, which means all the other Linux distributions
> other than Fedora can use this data themselves. Also, if the file is
> upstream you can change the description, screenshots and homepage as
> much as you like as your application evolves.
>
> Similarly, if you have something like intltool set up, you can
> translate the AppData file which is really awesome for people using
> the software center that can't use en_US as a locale.
>
> If you've got any problems, concerns or any other questions please
> don't hesitate to contact me. If replying to this email on the mailing
> list, please keep me cc'd as I'm not subscribed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> [1] http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/

Elliott aka QuLogic