Facebook Development

James Geboski jgeboski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:00:26 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I am headed to Facebook for employment in a few months. As a result, I
can no longer work on the Facebook protocol. The good news is, both dx
and Eion, have offered to take over and maintain the protocol.

The reversing was done in a very "sloppy" manner by yours truly, so it
really is not ideal for someone to pickup and continue without mental
pain. This involved using SSLsplit to dump the raw MQTT stream. Then
using a simple script [1] to dump the stream in a more readable
format. After that, it was an all manual operation. I think dx is
currently working on some tools [2] to make the reversing part much
easier, so more contributors and maintainers may come as a result.
There are some decent notes from dx on this matter [3].

I will be moving the purple-facebook [4] project (the purple2 variant
of the prpl) away from my Github. I do not know exactly who is going
to take on this project, but I think dx offered (I'll update this
thread with that information once completed). But everything will
redirect to the new location in an event.

As for me, I am hoping to stick around and work on something else that
is not Facebook related.

James

[1]: https://gist.github.com/jgeboski/cd1c93c0929b0c6dfc8f
[2]: https://github.com/dequis/Wireshark-MQTT