Splitting the repos...

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Apr 7 16:35:37 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Patrick Cloke <patrick at cloke.us> wrote:

> Gary,
> I think this is maybe where we disagree. libpurple has an ABI/API
> guarantee FOR RELEASE versions. It DOES NOT (to my knowledge :)) have any
> sort of guarantee if you're developing off of trunk/tip/master.

Sure we do, right now the default branch is 3.0.0 that is not locked in,
but the release-2.x.y branch sill not break ABI/API.  It might add API, but
it will not break it.

> Someone patching Pidgin will absolutely care when they pull down Pidgin's
> hg repo and it doesn't compile against with their installed version of
> libpurple.

Yes of course, but hopefully in the future we won't have an ABI/API
breaking branch open for years like we have for the past few.

> I don't see this as much of an outside dependency as you do.

Why not?  I would have imagined as an Instantbird developer that'd you be
happy to see Pidgin and Finch get treated equally to Instantbird.

Maybe this goes back to the CI/CD magic of "just install the version of
> compiled libpurple from our servers and it will work!"...but I've seen this
> fail more than work.

Any examples of why it's failed more often than it's worked?

Also, I'm serious about pulling your changes in.  Please bring them up so
that you don't need to use a custom version of libpurple.

> --Patrick

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>