Splitting the repos...

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Thu Apr 7 16:08:46 EDT 2016

On 4/7/16 3:39 PM, Gary Kramlich wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com
> <mailto:mmcco at mykolab.com>> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>     However, for what
>     it's worth, I've found the issues Patrick mentions to be very real in
>     other projects. The costs of the added complexity are delayed and are
>     borne more by outsiders trying to contribute.
>

> As far as a casual contributor goes, I think of it this way.  Say I
> need to patch gedit for something, the fact that I need to install
> libgtk-3-dev to build it doesn't seem difficult to me.  That's how we
> can and should be setup.  Remember libpurple has an ABI and API
> guaranty.  Someone patching just something in pidgin doesn't/shouldn't
> have to care about what version of libpurple is installed; just that
> it works with the version of pidgin they're trying to compile.  Like
> wise, for patching libpurple you need to have a compatible version of
> glib and other dependencies.
Gary,

I think this is maybe where we disagree. libpurple has an ABI/API
guarantee FOR RELEASE versions. It DOES NOT (to my knowledge :)) have
any sort of guarantee if you're developing off of trunk/tip/master.

Someone patching Pidgin will absolutely care when they pull down
Pidgin's hg repo and it doesn't compile against with their installed
version of libpurple.

I don't see this as much of an outside dependency as you do.

Maybe this goes back to the CI/CD magic of "just install the version of
compiled libpurple from our servers and it will work!"...but I've seen
this fail more than work.

--Patrick