GSoC 2016

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Feb 2 10:39:39 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Michael McConville <mmcco at mykolab.com> wrote:
> For what it's worth, I think it would be *extremely* helpful to find a
> student who's fluent in GLib and/or GTK. The main difficulty I faced
> last summer was having to choose between learning these reasonably
> complex interfaces and doing immediately applicable work.

This is a very good and valid point, they are not simple
libraries/concepts to grasp.  Do you have any suggestions for helping
others to learn them?  Unfortunately most of us have been using them
so long that we can't see it through fresh eyes anymore.

> I'm sure there are many major simplifications that can be made by
> someone who knows a lot about one or both of these and can spend a
> summer with Pidgin.

Step one of this is replacing a ton of code with GIO which Maiku and
myself have been trying to do.  There are some other rough edges I've
identified, so maybe we could turn this into a project?

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>