Mercurial Servers

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Mon Jan 25 20:17:52 EST 2016

Hello Everyone,

As some of you are aware, we have a team and repositories (multiple
actually) on Bitbucket [1].  Myself and a few others have been using it to
do pull requests and as an easier place to access the code since the users
control their SSH keys.

Currently hg.pidgin.im pushes all changes to Bitbucket.  This is great, but
the sync doesn't work the other way and probably shouldn't.  When this sync
was set up, I believe its only intention was for a read-only mirror that we
didn't have to maintain.  That said, as we've been doing pull requests and
reviewing code, there have been times when they get out of sync.  As you
might have guessed, we can't easily sync both ways because of the potential
for merge conflicts and so on.

What I'm proposing is that we make hg.pidgin.im read-only and start
migrating everything over to Bitbucket.  Our Bitbucket team has unlimited
users and repositories and we can set up ACLs however we want.  I have some
basics set up right now, which I can share if people are interested, but it
basically mimics what we have on hg.pidgin.im right now.  Also, I'd prefer
to leave the main repository as a merging point and have people pull
request to it.

So, what do you think?

[1] https://bitbucket.org/pidgin

Thanks,