Pidgin 3.0.0devel tray icon not working on KDE Plasma 5.5

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 00:53:48 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv at arcor.de> wrote:

> I recently switched to the latest KDE desktop (KDE Plasma Desktop 5.5).
>
> Unfortunately the Pidgin 3.0.0devel tray icon is not working anymore. The
> icon itself is very small, see screenshot
> http://paste.opensuse.org/12220302

Yes! you are not alone, I am using KDE too and noticed it. We plan to add
support for the Status Notifier Item Specification. But we need to do it in
a way that doesn't break compatibility with other DE that don't use this
notification system.

There is a ticket where we are tracking this issue.
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16456

The small icon can be fixed by the currently in progress migration to the
Icon Theme Specification.

When I click on the icon, the menu does not show up.

I also noticed this recently (I don't click there very often). I noticed
that I didn't had enabled the --enable-trayicon-compat configure flag. You
can try with it (I haven't tried it, it's on my TODO list), it may fix it
as a workaround.

> For Pidgin 2.10.x there are two working solutions (1) Pidgin 2.10.x used
> GTK+ 2.x which is handled by KDE plasma 5.5's "xembedsniproxy"; 2) with the
> Pidgin pidgin-indicator plugin).
>
> Is there a working solution for Pidgin 3.0.0devel? SNI and
> libappindicator-gtk3 may help. libappindicator-gtk3 is made for Ubuntu
> Unity, but should work for KDE Plasma too. Please consider the technical
> details from Wolfgang Bauer:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-03/msg00021.html
>
> As a temporary work-around I disabled the tray icon in Pidgin preferences.
>
> Greetings,
> Björn

AFAIK, there is a plugin that uses libappindicator. That should work on KDE
since Unity and KDE Plasma both implement the Status Notifier Item spec.

--
Masca