Old paradigms...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 25 04:48:27 EDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 15:06 -0500, Gary Kramlich wrote:

> It's been on my mind for awhile know that the concept of a "buddy
> list" is foreign to a lot of people, let alone the notion of a
> "buddy".  I know this naming convention dates back to the being
> AIM-centric, but I'm wondering if it's time we move away from it.  I'm
> writing this as there's a user in #pidgin that just quoted "buddy"...
>
> What I'm thinking is renaming Contact to MetaContact, Buddy to
> Contact, and BuddyList to ContactList.

While we're at it, please can we add a concept of transient
buddies/contacts.

IF I get an incoming IM from someone I've never heard of, then for the
duration of that IM chat window, I *could* show that person's full name
and presence.

Right now it only works for individuals who *happen* to already be
known buddies. I have all the information in my prpl but no way to
convey it to libpurple/Pidgin.