State of Pidgin: Splitting the Tree

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Oct 3 03:11:05 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Eion Robb <eion at robbmob.com> wrote:

> I'm a big fan of doing a split.  In particular, I think it would really
> help out other UI's to separate the Pidgin/libpurple codebase, as a lot of
> pain points they deal with, Pidgin sidesteps by having tight coupling with
> libpurple (e.g. see the Instantbird patches).  The only pain-point I see
> would be making sure newer Pidgin's can handle older libpurples; more
> version-checks and stuff.

Awesome!  We do enough version checks right now between glib and gtk that
adding a few more for purple really shouldn't be a big deal.

> Would this include splitting the voice/video stuff from libpurple into
> it's own thing/repo/plugin?

Perhaps.  That entire API needs an overhaul badly.  Unfortunately we need
someone that really knows the GStreamer stuff..  Unless of course we can
figure out how to just pass around GStreamerSinks and GStreamerSources.