State of Pidgin: Splitting the Tree

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Oct 3 10:56:28 EDT 2017

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> I've mentioned a few times now that I believe we need to split the tree
> into at least four separate repositories.   My proposal is to split it into
> libpurple, pidgin, libgnt, and finch.

This seems fine.  At the very least, splitting libgnt is warranted.
It's not even versioned with the others.  The biggest worry I have
about this split is that it's *already* hard to make sure people are
using the right libpurple version with their Pidgin; as EionRobb said,
we'll need some more version checks -- and not just compile-time
checks, run-time checks.  And, of course, the fact that finch remains
the red-headed stepchild.  :-)

Ethan