State of Pidgin: Build System

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Oct 3 03:13:46 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 2:04 AM, Eion Robb <eion at robbmob.com> wrote:

> TBH I don't really care much about which build system we use as long as it
> works :)
>
> As a side note, just changing the build system doesn't 100% help with
> Visual Studio due to an incompatibility between time_t with msvc (its
> always 64bit) compared to mingw (where it's the sizeof int)

Good to know!

> A few questions I have about the change:
>
> Does meson provide a way to compile using mingw?

Yes.  Meson does cross compiles via a toolchain file iirc (Elliot can
answer with more authority here as he's done it).  At any rate, it should
be doable.

> Does meson help with cross-compiling?

See previous response :)

> Would meson just be used for 3.0?

We could move 2.x.y to it, but that's a big change to the existing
packaging that's already in the distros.  I'm not sure which way they'd
rather go.

> Would you just use meson for one repo (RE: other email about splitting
> libpurple/Pidgin/Finch) first or would you suggest it be used for all repos?

I'd use it for all repos.  We've already moved gplugin to it for example.