State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Oct 3 06:15:17 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-03, 05:58 GMT, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> As anyone who's followed the project knows, we've been
> suffering from a lack of contributors for quite some time now.
>
> I believe there are many reasons to this.  Many of which I'm trying to
> address in these emails.  I've already taken steps for a few of the other
> ones.

I will be the one who says it, so that you may have somebody to
shout at:

    Git*b (that's GitHub, or GitLab if you prefer free solution,
    as I do)

    and git.

I don’t want for a second discuss git/mercurial on its technical
merits, but I am looking around me and I see that developers
spoke and the answer is git.

I saw like two or more years all my Java colleagues (I work for
Red Hat, and for me it means mostly JBoss people) run over to
GitHub and they don’t seem to look back.  I am not sure whether
I understand where tea leaves go, but it feels to me that with
the current whatever-is-going-in-Oracle-around-Java we may see
another mad rush towards GitHub in other parts of the Java world
soon.

I work closely with Mozilla people, and although the main
Firefox repository is still Hg, all new development is on GitHub
(e.g., https://github.com/servo/servo and
https://github.com/mozilla/).

The same goes for Python. https://docs.python.org/devguide/
points to https://github.com/python/cpython as main repository.
Enough said.

By insisting on using minority technology, you are pushing the
project to a weird http://bitbucket.org and out of the
mainstream. If you want to lower barriers of entry, then this is
one (relatively, comparing to othes) low-hanging fruit to pick.

I could write about this way more, but I don't think it is
necessary. All arguments were voiced, heard, and perhaps now is
the time to reasses them.

After supporting host-your-own-data movement, burning endless
hours on maintaining necessary software, being very happy with
my local installation of Bugzilla, I finally gave up and
https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto/ is for last couple of
years on GitLab and I don't regret it. It is where my
users/contributors find me.

Best,

Matěj
--
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl<at>ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was
bad, he should see how bad it is with representation.