State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 3 07:03:45 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 12:15 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> On 2017-10-03, 05:58 GMT, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> > As anyone who's followed the project knows, we've been
> > suffering from a lack of contributors for quite some time now.
> >
> > I believe there are many reasons to this.  Many of which I'm trying to
> > address in these emails.  I've already taken steps for a few of the other
> > ones.
>
> I will be the one who says it, so that you may have somebody to
> shout at:
>
>     Git*b (that's GitHub, or GitLab if you prefer free solution,
>     as I do)
>
>     and git.
>
> I don’t want for a second discuss git/mercurial on its technical
> merits, but I am looking around me and I see that developers
> spoke and the answer is git.

They can shout at me too; I wholeheartedly agree with this.

In recent weeks, I have had stuff that I'd like to look at (I probably
would have offered a fix for https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17238 )
but the fact that there was an additional learning curve was sufficient
to mean that I just dropped it and moved on to something else.