State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Oct 3 10:43:28 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 6:03 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 12:15 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
>> On 2017-10-03, 05:58 GMT, Gary Kramlich wrote:
>> > As anyone who's followed the project knows, we've been
>> > suffering from a lack of contributors for quite some time now.
>> >
>> > I believe there are many reasons to this.  Many of which I'm trying to
>> > address in these emails.  I've already taken steps for a few of the other
>> > ones.
>>
>> I will be the one who says it, so that you may have somebody to
>> shout at:
>>
>>     Git*b (that's GitHub, or GitLab if you prefer free solution,
>>     as I do)
>>
>>     and git.
>>
>> I don’t want for a second discuss git/mercurial on its technical
>> merits, but I am looking around me and I see that developers
>> spoke and the answer is git.
>
> They can shout at me too; I wholeheartedly agree with this.
>
> In recent weeks, I have had stuff that I'd like to look at (I probably
> would have offered a fix for https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17238 )
> but the fact that there was an additional learning curve was sufficient
> to mean that I just dropped it and moved on to something else.

I hear what you're saying, but honestly it's not much.  I went into
detail about the drive by contributions and similar topics in the
video, so I can only assume you missed it, didn't watch the video at
all, or just out right disregarded it.  Aside from that, I also
mention (at least I have previously) that open source software is
about providing choices, no one is providing a choice.  Everyone is
using the same tool for the same job creates a monopoly that stifles
innovation.  Look I'm sorry you don't feel like mercurial is worth
your time, but that is your issue.  We as a project are very happy
with it.

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>