State of Pidgin: Splitting the Tree

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Oct 3 11:03:42 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> Gary Kramlich wrote:
>> I've mentioned a few times now that I believe we need to split the tree
>> into at least four separate repositories.   My proposal is to split it into
>> libpurple, pidgin, libgnt, and finch.
>
> This seems fine.  At the very least, splitting libgnt is warranted.
> It's not even versioned with the others.  The biggest worry I have
> about this split is that it's *already* hard to make sure people are
> using the right libpurple version with their Pidgin; as EionRobb said,
> we'll need some more version checks -- and not just compile-time
> checks, run-time checks.  And, of course, the fact that finch remains
> the red-headed stepchild.  :-)

Supporting people might get a bit harder, that was part of the reason
I took the design I did in the new about dialog.  It still needs a
"copy system info" or something like that button, but it includes a
bunch of versions to help us debug.

Finch shouldn't be the red-headed stepchild, it should be a partner in
crime, we just need to promote it more.  I'm astonished how many
people know of Pidgin and go, well I use irssi or wechat because I
need a terminal client.. :)

> Ethan

Thanks,

--