State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

Kyle Daniel kylerdanielster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:51:19 EDT 2017

So, having recently dove into pidgin/Libpurple I hope my perspective can
help.

The point was made that the vcs is far for the biggest issue for new
contributors and I whole heartedly agree. I also think it is not as big a
barrier to entry as one might expect/think.

This basically got me going, nbd.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-sourcetree/work-using-mercurial-847359064.html

Do I think it likely easier to grow pidgins development community using
git/git*- yes. However, I also believe that a good community easily
outweighs what vcs and host are used.

Gary was awesome and helpful while I was trying to get going, even though I
highjacked his stream a few times ; ) .So I didn’t mind learning a bit of
mercurial to get involved.

Now, I just couldn’t get any traction trying to overcome the obstacles I
faced ones inside the code base.

My 2 cents without getting too philosophical about one vcs or the other.