State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Oct 3 18:52:16 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-03, 15:11 GMT, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> That said we have much bigger problems than that right now.
> We don't need a million drive by contributions that people
> aren't going to see all the way through.  We need people that
> are going to stick through the entire pull request process and
> hopefully continue to be involved in the project.

[...]
> That's okay.  As I mentioned earlier, we're not interested in drive by
> contributions that aren't going to seem them through :)  We're having
> a hard enough time keeping up with the contributions that we
> do have where they have seen them through.

Just to note here, that you actually do not want to lower
barriers for new contributors. It is perfectly legitimate
strategy (not that I think it is wise), but it would be probably
wise to say it aloud. Something like (courtesy of dwm
developers): “Because dwm is customized through editing its
source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This
keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid
questions.”?

Sorry, really shutting up, just couldn’t resist.

Best,

Matěj
--
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl<at>ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

God is not worried about my financial situation.