"Optimised for Lync" headsets

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Mar 18 03:14:28 EDT 2018

There are a few USB headsets which seem to have additional features for
Lync, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069P3V4M

These can allegedly ring, the button on the headset can be used to
answer/end calls, and the mute function is integrated with the protocol
— so if someone else on the call mutes you, you can unmute yourself
with the button on the headset, etc.

Since I've got to the point where almost all of my day-to-day meetings
are done through Pidgin, this would be really useful. It *really*
sucks, when I want to take myself off mute to say something, to spend
20 seconds hunting for the Pidgin call window to press the button :)

Has anyone worked out how they work? A Windows user with the real
drivers, and USB sniffing as described at
https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB#Windows would be really
useful...