"Optimised for Lync" headsets

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 21 18:24:26 EDT 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-18 at 07:14 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> There are a few USB headsets which seem to have additional features for
> Lync, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069P3V4M
>
> These can allegedly ring, the button on the headset can be used to
> answer/end calls, and the mute function is integrated with the protocol
> — so if someone else on the call mutes you, you can unmute yourself
> with the button on the headset, etc.
>
> Since I've got to the point where almost all of my day-to-day meetings
> are done through Pidgin, this would be really useful. It *really*
> sucks, when I want to take myself off mute to say something, to spend
> 20 seconds hunting for the Pidgin call window to press the button :)
>
> Has anyone worked out how they work? A Windows user with the real
> drivers, and USB sniffing as described at
> https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB#Windows would be really
> useful...

I have this working, with a plugin that monitors the media streams for
mute/unmute events and synchronises the state with the headset:
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/pidgin-headset.git

Now when the conference server mutes me, my headset shows that status,
and I can use the button on the headset to unmute myself.

I've done this for my Jabra headset, based on example code from Jabra
(thanks). Would be good to support other devices like Plantronics,
perhaps...