State of Pidgin: Attracting and Maintaining New Contributors

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Mar 19 09:38:49 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 12:04 -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> So here's my call for contribution: can someone who has a good working
> understanding of both Git and Mercurial identify and document a simple
> workflow using a readily avialable git-to-hg connector to enable:
>
> 1) Simple cloning of the upstream repo
> 2) Native creation of git feature branches for "git-like" PRs on the
>    git side
> 3) A single command push to BitBucket (perhaps using an alias)
>    producing a sequence of revisions that can be directly PR'd

With git-cinnabar I *think* I have this working without having to fork
a new repo for every outstanding PR.

https://bitbucket.org/pidgin/main/pull-requests/318 is a duplicate of
#317 to fix ticket #17292, just so I had a 'dummy' set of commits to
put in one branch

https://bitbucket.org/pidgin/main/pull-requests/319 is an attempt to
fix ticket #17295. Unlike previous attempts with git-remote-hg, it
looks like I'm able to have more than one PR outstanding without them
stomping on each other.

If you can confirm that it's all OK, I'll finish writing up what I did.

I have multiple heads in my 'release-2.x.y' branch but I don't seem to
be able to *name* them, which means I don't think I can update the PR
if changes are requested? There's a '...' on the right-hand side of
https://bitbucket.org/dwmw2/testfork/branches/ which looks like it's
supposed to bring up some kind of menu, which *might* have let me name
the heads I have in release-2.x.y... but actually does nothing in
either Firefox or Chrome.