Pidgin 3 - Is there any point?

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Fri Feb 1 00:58:10 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:25 AM David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:

> I think the "all my plugins/themes/customisations don't work" part is a
> little bit of a red herring. Once 3.0 is released, those will hopefully
> catch up relatively quickly.

Agreed, we even have https://bitbucket.org/pidgin/twotree to make porting
easier as you can write the 3.0 api and compile against 2.0.

> I do think that moving to GTK3 is useful for maintainability in the
> long term, and also for being *perceived* as a modern, maintained
> application.

I concur and as I mentioned in my response to Eion, it also lets us run
without xquartz on osx.

> I think the main hurdle is getting 3.0 to the point where we can
> release it. It doesn't need to be perfect; we can always do later
> releases.

We can literally release alpha's whenever we finish removing webkit1gtk.
But having a final release of a library with a "stable" api is going to be
a mess.  I mean we could pull a gtk and break abi a couple times and then
just announce 4.0, but honestly I'd rather do more alphas/betas/rc's before
doing that.

> What needs to be fixed before we can do a 3.0 release? Especially, what
> features is the user going to miss? And what APIs do we *want* to
> change but haven't managed yet, which would cause another breakage for
> plugins in the future if we don't get it in before 3.0?

What is an acceptable way for people to receive this data.  Trac has way
too much noise, there's my trello board https://trello.com/b/4ZBlhJFd/pidgin,
I stream 3 nights a week working on pidgin stuff, but everyone is still
asking this question.  So my question to you all, how do you want to
receive this data?

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>