Pidgin 3 - Is there any point?

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Feb 1 08:00:12 EST 2019

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> > I think the main hurdle is getting 3.0 to the point where we can
> > release it. It doesn't need to be perfect; we can always do later
> > releases.
> >

> We can literally release alpha's whenever we finish removing webkit1gtk.
> But having a final release of a library with a "stable" api is going to be
> a mess.  I mean we could pull a gtk and break abi a couple times and then
> just announce 4.0, but honestly I'd rather do more alphas/betas/rc's before
> doing that.

As I'm sure you recall, we beta'd 2.0.0 for a *while* before release,
and had a lot of very happy users by the day it rolled ou the door.
This was mostly for external reasons at the time (there was a
lawsuit), but it seems to me like we have a similar situation with
Pidgin 3, WRT things like webkit.

I think the biggest holdup for this is that we have dependencies that
nobody has.  We'll have to ship those, too, but if someone wants to
_do the large and painful quantity of work_ to start shipping betas
whenever they're ready (which I think is basically now-ish, right,
except for the churn of webkit?), I don't think it's a terrible idea.

Ethan