Pidgin and IMFreedom Email

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Mon Nov 16 20:59:06 EST 2020

Greetings Programs!!

As some of you know, one of our hosting providers, NetworkRedux, is
shutting down December 1st.  Luckily we have nearly everyone migrated
except for email.

We've been slowly working on our new email solution, but now that we're
in crunch time (two weeks to go) we're obviously going to pushing much
harder to get this done.  As such you may experience some delays and
outages of the sites[1][2] regarding emails.

The mailman configuration will remain the same, but the email boxes
provided for Pidgin Contributors and for official IMFreedom business
will have their login method changed.  I'll go into more details as
things get finalized, but all existing mail will be imported to the new
system.

That said, there are a number of things that need to be fixed when it
comes to our email.  I'm hoping to get the spam situation a bit more
under control.  However, we will be implementing DKIM[3] and DMARC[4]
going forward with the intention that the the mailing lists will rewrite
the DKIM signatures to verify that they came from us, which should
hopefully keep our legitimate emails out of your spam folders.

I don't have an exact time frame on the cut over as we're still writing
the Ansible scripts, but if you have any questions, comments, or
concerns, please let me know here.

[1] https://lists.pidgin.im/
[2] https://lists.imfreedom.org/
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail