Trac Migration

Gary Kramlich grim at pidgin.im
Tue Sep 8 01:29:08 EDT 2020

Greetings Programs!

Well it's Tuesday Morning UTC and developer.pidgin.im is officially in
read-only mode.  Developers can still modify issues (if they absolutely
need to) but user creation is gone because everything has been imported
into https://issues.imfreedom.org/issues/PIDGIN?u=1 !!

All of the issues have the same numbers they did in trac.  For example
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1960 is now available at
https://issues.imfreedom.org/issue/PIDGIN-1960.

Eagle eye viewers will notice that we did not import most of the users.
 This was intentional for a number of reasons.  First, we didn't to move
people's personally identifiable information across systems without
their permissions.  Secondly, even if we only imported users who created
or commented on tickets we would essentially be importing accounts that
have a high likely hood of never being used again.  Finally, we there
are an insane number of accounts in our trac instance and many of them
were spam accounts and thus we didn't want to sort through them.

That said, if you have created an account in our hub instance at
https://hub.imfreedom.org/ you have two options.  You can watch the
tickets that you're interested in by adding yourself to the watch list
on the tickets themselves.

I hope everyone enjoys YouTrack. I spent a lot of time evaluating tools
and it definitely is the best tool available right now.  I know a lot of
you will be upset that it's not open source, and I feel the same say,
but one of my goals for Pidgin is to improve the user experience all the
way around, including issue reporting, and YouTrack is the best tool for
that job right now.  I'll be touching base more on this in an upcoming
blog post.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, flames, as always, feel free.

Thanks,

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>