Trac Migration

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Sep 8 20:53:43 EDT 2020

On 9/8/20 1:29 AM, Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Greetings Programs!
>
> Well it's Tuesday Morning UTC and developer.pidgin.im is officially in
> read-only mode.  Developers can still modify issues (if they absolutely
> need to) but user creation is gone because everything has been imported
> into https://issues.imfreedom.org/issues/PIDGIN?u=1 !!
>
> All of the issues have the same numbers they did in trac.  For example
> https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1960 is now available at
> https://issues.imfreedom.org/issue/PIDGIN-1960.

Congrats!  It's nice to see that tooling is finally improving.

Honestly, I can't conceive of why any of us would need to modify any
tickets or comments on Trac at this point.  Reading for reference, sure,
but really, modifications should be happening on YouTrack now.

> Eagle eye viewers will notice that we did not import most of the users.
>  This was intentional for a number of reasons.  First, we didn't to move
> people's personally identifiable information across systems without
> their permissions.  Secondly, even if we only imported users who created
> or commented on tickets we would essentially be importing accounts that
> have a high likely hood of never being used again.  Finally, we there
> are an insane number of accounts in our trac instance and many of them
> were spam accounts and thus we didn't want to sort through them.

As I've said a number of times, I think that was a good call.  We also
didn't have e-mail addresses for a large number of those accounts so
they'd have been useless to the original reporters and commenters, as
well as being overhead for us to deal with for those users to reclaim.

> That said, if you have created an account in our hub instance at
> https://hub.imfreedom.org/ you have two options.  You can watch the
> tickets that you're interested in by adding yourself to the watch list
> on the tickets themselves.

What's the other option? :-P

> I hope everyone enjoys YouTrack. I spent a lot of time evaluating tools
> and it definitely is the best tool available right now.  I know a lot of
> you will be upset that it's not open source, and I feel the same say,
> but one of my goals for Pidgin is to improve the user experience all the
> way around, including issue reporting, and YouTrack is the best tool for
> that job right now.  I'll be touching base more on this in an upcoming
> blog post.

While open source might be ideal, functional and helpful are far more
important right now, especially when we can get functional and helpful
for free.

John